Monday, January 02, 2006

High Fructose Corn Syrup

Ever look at the labels on your food?

Go ahead. Look through your pantry and fridge. Look specifically for corn syrup.

IT IS IN EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Miss sugar? I do. I started revolting against corn syrup by looking for sugar instead in the products I buy. Why revolt? Well, I like my food to be food. I am not overly stuffy about processed food versus natural food; though I think it's a good idea. I just hate the idea of something being forced on me.

When I was little, say six to ten, my mom made homemade ice cream. She did not put in high fructose corn syrup. Believe it or not, I loved her ice cream more than what I can buy today. Nor do I love my bread or soda or for that matter cottage cheese more today than I do yesterday. All of these products plus a bazillion more contain corn syrup. Check out your bread, frozen foods, yogurt, ketchup, mustard, etc...

Corn syrup is a gazillion dollar industry because sugar, sugar?, is too expensive. Let me tell you what's too expensive; my heating bill in winter. Damn $250-$300 a month. But sugar? Come on

Check out the San Fran Chronicle's article about how we metabolize fat and corn syrup's affect on us. Or the Weston A. Price Foundation's research into the devastating effects that lack of proper nutrition and corn syrup play: The Murky World of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

These pieces suggest that a correlation exists between obesity and the mass introduction of corn syrup into the U.S. food process. I do not suggest that corn syrup is the culprit in the U.S. obesity epidemic but a contributor certainly.

To be honest I am more worried about the next outbreak in food allergies among children. My theory is when one food element is subsituted or used widely instead of a selection we could put children at risk for serious allergies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home